Saturday’s quilting sure went poorly. I ought to know to stop when things start like this. I keep thinking that it’s something I can fix but often, it’s just how you’re holding your mouth. Sunday, the quilting went wonderfully. If you click on the pic, you’ll see a bunch of black markers. When my thread breaks or there’s been a mistake where I’ve had to stop and restart, I mark the spot by pinning on black rectangles. That way, these spots are easy to find after the quilt is off the frame and me and my handy self-threading needle can get rid of the thread ends. You’ll notice that the top edge of the quilt has a LOT of these black rectangles. There are 3 in the first pass alone. Then shortly after the half way point, there’s only one more. That was Sunday’s quilting.
Here’s a closeup showing some of these thread ends and Vera on the cutting table, ready to trim. When I first started machine quilting, I tried fixing these thread breaks as they happened. It was too hard on the back and the quilt being stretched didn’t help. I tried stickers. They fell off too often. I tried pinning white rectangles of paper to the spots. They didn’t always show up well. The black fabric rectangles show up better more often and are reusable.
It was a lovely thing to sit on Sunday afternoon on an especially freezing day, under the quilt as I sewed on the binding. I do finish sewing bindings on by machine often but Vera’s quilt seemed to deserve special attention. This morning I finished off.
Tags: vera's quilt