I joined a quilt block bee, the We Bee Learnin, back in January and I thought I’d show March’s block because it’s kind of nice. I really like it at least. March’s leader wanted a wonky star and I can’t remember where I came across this version but I figured out how to do it myself. It’s very easy because the block is a 12″ (finished size) block. So, the largest squares are 3″ (fin). The middle sized star is made from 2″ (fin) squares and the tiny star is made from 1″ (fin) squares. The little star was a bit fiddly but it all came together pretty easily.
I started out by making the tiny star and trimming it to 3.5″. Then I made the middle sized star and trimmed it to 6.5″. All the other squares were 3.5″ (unfinished). So, the 3 squares around the tiny star were assembled. That square (trimmed to 6.5″) was sewn to the aqua star. Then the top half of the block was assembled in rows and then you sew the top to the bottom half and “Bob’s your uncle”, as they say. (That’s pretty goofy way of saying, “all finished”)
I wonder if there’s an easy way to create these points. I cut triangles and then put them right sides together (with the white base square) where when sewn and folded over I thought they’d fit. I used a ruler to hold down the long edge of the triangle to simulate it sewn down. Then I folded over the triangle to see if it covered the white base square. If it didn’t reach, I adjusted where the triangle was and tried again. That seems a bit ‘hit and miss’. I did notice that if you had the triangle points falling off the base square by about half an inch, then folding it over usually worked. A quilt of only blocks like this would be pretty nice I think. I wouldn’t be looking forward to all those tiny stars though.
I’m linking up to The Needle and Thread Network today. Press the button on the right to visit.
ps. Here are the January and February blocks I made: